Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stages of change

The process and means to achieve a goal through change: pre-contemplation, contemplation, action, maintenance and occasionally regression. Pre-contemplation is thinking everything is fine, contentment or denial. Contemplation the thinking that maybe I would like something different in my life or something is starting to sound like a good idea. Action phase, the writing of sticky notes, researching motivation strategies, recruiting social support and other small steps towards my goal and desire. Maintenence is the not only the achievement of my goal but long term. I'll be healthy and if I can continue my running life style and money saving it will be considered maintenance. I could always set my next goal for France ;). Regression is a raod block not an end. It just means the strategies I use weren't right for me or my life style and to try some thing different.

Although the arrow above only move forward the stages still occur in a circle. Its continuous. It means that if my current strategy of running and yoga don't work out or cause me to discourage I then need to adapt. Going to the gym for weight lifting and strength training. Maybe I need to change the time of day I work out or the frequency and intensity. Maybe I need to detail my training goals. Regression isn't failure it's feed back. If I give up on motivating myself and stop the process all together then it's failure. But that's what accountability i.e this blog is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment