Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My first Mile

There are a lot of people that want to start getting fit through running or yoga. The second most popular excuse next to time is the costs.  Giving the daily grind wares enough of us down to make motivation a challenge, money is still a genuine concern. To start on my goal it only cost $36.This is the price of my shoes and a yoga mat. I'm not saying its going to be this cheap for everyone but it will be a lot less expensive if you know your resources.

Living in New Mexico makes running a lot easier. I am not as concerned with rain and snow like my friends and family back home in Michigan. You could spend money on rain gear and compression gear. Maybe you want to invest in some gators to keep the snow out or maybe you want to buy a reflective vest for running at night? On the days that it rains or when the snow is particularly vicious you could do a different type of workout. I do yoga and strength building exercises as well as Fascial stretches to help reduce risk of injuries. But when you live where it snow and rains a lot I can understand wanting to invest a little more money. Its your strategy and goal what every helps to reach it go for it.

It can also be argued that the more money you spend the more likely you are to fallow through with it. Gym memberships can be expensive and maybe even getting there could be a problem. What about fitness classes? Yoga is an easy choice. Other than the mat I don't pay for anything else. I have Netflix which I feel the yoga and fitness videos live a lot to be desired. But you know what else works? Yup, Youtube. There are a number of videos that target specific goals and audiences.

Another way I'm able to get away with such cheapness is that I'm a student. Eastern New Mexico University campus here in Roswell is free to students. Although there is only a weight room and cardio room it will give me the oportunity to run in all weathers and still build muscle and tone. Knowing what is available in your community and what is best for you cuts cost and will still help you start out.

I've done a bit of reading and every article and book I've laid eyes on say to start it out slow. Try and go to fast and you  risk injury and discouragement. So I chose to walk/jog just one mile. It took me 16:02 minutes but I did it. I stretched 5 minutes and warmed up for 5 minutes both before and after. I did learn that I need to rethink my workout schedule. Doing it in the morning makes me feel rushed because I'm concerned I'll be late for class. Although I'm more likely to work out in the morning I have other obligations that come first. I will try out the rest of the week with morning work outs but I might have to change my strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment